I’ve always admired my friends who take on ultra-marathons. To be honest, I used to believe they were a tad eccentric for attempting such feats. I mean, remember when I paced Emily during the last stretch of her 100-mile race? (Relive my not-so-stellar pacing adventure here). We spent nearly 6 hours navigating uphill terrains, dusty paths, and dodging more cacti than I ever want to encounter again. A jumping cactus even had the audacity to greet my Achilles! After that experience, I was convinced; ultras weren’t for me. A marathon’s length was quite enough, thank you.
Oh, how times change!
Let me take you down memory lane:
- Post my first 10k? “I’m never running a half marathon. Doubling that? Nope!” Yet, I ran half marathons, not once, but 10 times.
- After conquering the half marathon? “A full marathon? You’re joking, right?” Yet, here I am, with 5 full marathons under my belt.
- And after each marathon, I swore off any longer distance. But, life has a funny way of proving us wrong.
Introducing my next big challenge: The Golden Ultra. Set against the majestic backdrop of Golden, British Columbia, this 3-day stage race promises to push me to my limits.
- Day 1 (The Ascent): 5 km with a staggering 1000m elevation gain.
- Day 2 (The Endurance): 60 km, navigating a 2500m rise and descent.
- Day 3 (The Victory Lap): A 20 km run, climbing 375m.
Sure, it’s not a 100-miler, but for me, this is a monumental task. Especially considering the day-after-day format. Yet, knowing Emily will be with me throughout, just as she was in our previous marathons, is both comforting and motivating.
With the race set for September 23rd, I’ve got ample time to prepare. And yes, that does mean dragging friends for long trail runs (Jess, consider this your heads-up!). This year feels different – it’s more spontaneous and challenging. I’m thrilled to mix up my running routine and see where this plant-powered journey takes me.
So here’s to defying our own expectations, to pushing boundaries, and to every adventure that lies ahead. Remember, it’s all about exploring your limits and relishing the journey!
Wishing everyone a rejuvenating weekend. Stay active, stay green! 🌱🏃♂️🌟